|Department||Facilities Management Administration|
|Location||Main Campus (Houghton, MI)|
|Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)||1.0|
|Appointment Term||9 Month|
|Pay Type||Hourly Rate|
|Salary or Hourly Rate||Contractual. External candidates will receive the minimum amount. ($12.42)|
|Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?||No|
|Title of Position Supervisor||Site Engineer|
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Job Description Summary||
Maintain and improve University grounds including turf, streets, parking lots and subsurface infrastructure; move equipment and furniture; transport incoming and outgoing freight shipments; set up furnishings and equipment at special events; and assist and work with Operators and Trades personnel on a wide variety of projects.
|Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)||
1. Perform a wide variety of skilled work in the operation of all light-duty equipment including, but not limited to the following:
2. Perform a wide variety of skilled work in the operation of hand-held tools and equipment including, but not limited to the following:
3. Be responsible for general operating and light maintenance of equipment and machines including oil changes, greasing, filter changes, maintaining proper fluid levels and tire inflation.
4. Support the maintenance of campus sidewalks and roadways, including pavement patching and replacement, installation of signage, maintenance of safety barriers, snow removal, and sand/salt treatment.
5. Be responsible for connecting hoses to exterior spigots and placing and positioning sprinklers at select areas on campus to ensure that areas are sufficiently irrigated and maintained.
6. Support the maintenance and upkeep of campus grounds, including applying seed, fertilizer, and soil amendments; turf repair; lawn mowing; tree trimming, removal, and planting; and raking and leaf collection.
7. Be able to work from general assignment and proceed with minimum supervision or direction from others.
8. Assist Operators and Trades personnel with maintenance of various types of equipment and building facilities and infrastructure as necessitated by daily operations.
9. Project implementation support through organizing work assignments and coordinating with Equipment Operators to ensure that work is completed on time and within budget.
10. Be responsible for housekeeping, sanitation, and safety in assigned Grounds break, storage, shop, and work areas.
11. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
12. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
13. Report all safety-related concerns to supervisor.
|Required Education (minimum requirements)||
• High School diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
|Required Experience (minimum requirements)||
• Two years’ experience, within the last three years, in the performance of landscaping and groundskeeping including turf maintenance, tree and shrub planting and maintenance, walkway/roadway maintenance, snow removal, and equivalent tasks.
|Desirable Education and/or Experience||
1. Experience in the operation and maintenance of heavy equipment including, but not limited to the following:
2. Experience in the operation and maintenance of heavy equipment including, but not limited to the following:
3. Experience in the operation of hand-held tools and equipment including, but not limited to the following:
4. Ability to read and work from blueprints, sketches, and schematic drawings.
5. Possession of a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with B endorsement.
6. Possession of a Commercial Pesticide Applicator certification as defined by The Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, Public Act 451, As Amended and Regulation 636, As Amended.
7. Possession of a certification in First-Aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
8. Possession of Level One or Level Two Certifications from the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) in General Safety and Health, Safety and Health Management Systems, and Occupational Health.
9. Maintain a broad knowledge of applied trade practices, techniques, and applicable rules and codes.
10. Practical experience with locating, maintaining, and repairing underground utilities, including irrigation systems, storm water systems, fire suppression systems, and sanitary sewer systems.
11. Familiarity with maintenance management software and electronic work request ticketing system.
12. Familiarity with the operation of computers, portable electronic devices, and their related applications including login procedures, electronic mail, and text messages.
13. Practical experience in the diagnosis and maintenance of hand-held tools and light/heavy equipment.
14. Prior safety training in any of the following:
|Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)||
1. Demonstrated ability to adapt to frequently changing work environments, conditions and work schedules.
2. Ability to work from general assignment and proceed with minimum supervision or direction from others.
3. Demonstrated ability to efficiently and safely operate and perform daily maintenance (greasing, checking fluids and tire pressure, etc.) on light-duty equipment including, but not limited to:
4. Must be able to successfully demonstrate to Facilities personnel, the proficient use and safe operation of a zero-turn riding lawn mower, large area rotary mower, and utility work machine/utility task vehicle with a plow as a condition of employment.
5. Knowledge of seed and fertilizer application, lawn maintenance, and grooming equipment.
6. Must be able to perform tasks requiring the use of a respirator. Must be able to ability to successfully complete a Respiratory Medical Evaluation.
7. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
8. Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities||
|Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills|
|Work Environment and/or Physical Demands||
|Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment||
Must be able to work weekends, early morning hours, and overtime as required as a condition of continual employment.
Posting Detail Information
|Posting Type||Internal & External Posting|
|Internal Posting Date||03/16/2017|
|External Posting Date||03/16/2017|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)|
AFSCME posting 3/16/17-3/22/17
|Applicant Special Instructions|
|Provider Special Instructions|
|Confirmation Message To Provider|
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).