Building Mechanic I
Please see Special Instructions for more details.AFSCME Internal Posting 3/8/2017 - 3/14/2017 External applications will not be reviewed until after internal applicants who applied within the date range above.
|Position Title||Building Mechanic I|
|Department||Facilities Management Administration|
|Location||Main Campus (Houghton, MI)|
|Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)||1.0|
|Appointment Term||12 Month|
|Pay Type||Hourly Rate|
|Salary or Hourly Rate||Contractual. External candidates will receive the minimum amount. ($17.76)|
|Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?||No|
|Title of Position Supervisor||Facilities Manager|
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Job Description Summary||
Operate and maintain the assigned buildings and building systems to provide a safe and comfortable environment for students, faculty and staff in a cost effective manner under minimum supervision.
|Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)||
1. Perform routine maintenance and repair work in university buildings to maintain structures, electrical systems, machines, pumps, heating systems, plumbing, etc.
|Required Education (minimum requirements)||
• High school diploma, trade school training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
|Required Experience (minimum requirements)||
• Three (3) years electrical/mechanical experience in building operations or maintenance with electrical, HVAC, and water systems, or equivalent position.
|Desirable Education and/or Experience||
• Graduate of a mechanical trades school program in HVAC Technology, Environmental Controls Technology, Building Automation Technology or a similar field.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)||
• Demonstrated ability to maintain and repair HVAC equipment, electrical systems, pumps, electrical motors, plumbing systems and fixtures, and temperature controls.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities||
• Experience in installing, maintaining, repairing, and troubleshooting commercial and industrial digital and pneumatic control systems and components such as controllers, thermostats, actuators, and operators.
|Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills||
|Work Environment and/or Physical Demands||
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands:*
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; reach with hands and arms; and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; occasionally moving up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must possess the ability to pass a respiratory pulmonary physical exam.
|Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment||
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Posting Detail Information
|Posting Type||Internal & External Posting|
|Internal Posting Date||03/08/2017|
|External Posting Date||03/08/2017|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)||
AFSCME Internal Posting 3/8/2017 – 3/14/2017
External applications will not be reviewed until after internal applicants who applied within the date range above.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
|Applicant Special Instructions|
|Provider Special Instructions|
|Confirmation Message To Provider|
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Are you a current Michigan Tech AFSCME employee who has completed probation (internal)?