IT Operations Manager
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
Your references should include the contact information for at least three (3) professional references.
||IT Operations Manager
||Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
|Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
|Salary or Hourly Rate
||No Less Than $60,000
|Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
|Title of Position Supervisor
||Director of IT Operations
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Job Description Summary
The IT Operations Manager, working with the Director of IT Operations, is responsible for overseeing and managing the operational integrity of the technology and services provided by the Operations group at Michigan Technological University. They will lead teams of IT professionals covering multiple areas focusing on the security, stability, and performance of our systems and services.
|Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Develop and implement an effective and efficient organizational structure that, within the bounds of its responsibilities, supports the ongoing operations of the division.
2. Functional supervision of teams of IT professionals including management of staff by recruiting, training and coaching employees, communicating job expectations, and appraising their performance.
3. Management of teams of professional technical staff with a focus on creating well-functioning teams that are knowledgeable, accountable, and maintain a balance between embracing new technology and maintaining our current environment.
Strategic Planning & Controlling:
1. Participate in IT project management as a manager of individual and team projects in the Operations group.
2. Review an assign customer requests to project tasks to members of the Operations team.
3. Perform analysis of operational, break/fix, and project work to facilitate the smooth operation of our organization and facilitate the completion of our work on time with high levels of customer satisfaction.
4. Help teams develop processes, procedures, tools, documentation, and behaviors that assist them in the completion of their work.
5. Ensure Operations team’s security compliance in accordance with CISO standards, policies, and procedures.
6. Leads the development of technology related policies and procedures for the division.
Communication & Representation:
1. Excellent customer service, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
2. Serves as the technical and communications liaison to and from project stakeholders, technical teams, and customers.
3. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
4. Provide leadership to foster a culture of safety; promote safety through actions, communication, and training.
5. Encourage continuous improvement practices among employees.
|Required Education (minimum requirements)
• Bachelor’s degree in a technology field. Additional related experience may substitute for required education.
|Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Minimum of 8 years related IT experience, including 3 years of managerial experience. Additional education may substitute for experience.
|Desirable Education and/or Experience
• An advanced degree in technology or business field and proven experience leading large scale, complex projects.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Minimum of 3 years experience in project leadership in the information technology services industry.
• Broad experience in information technology topics related to the responsibilities of the Operations department.
• Expert knowledge of current information technology tools and platforms, especially involving enterprise networks, hosting environments, storage, and operating systems.
• Strong results orientation; ability to remove obstacles and hold people accountable for achieving challenging business results.
•Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels of the campus community, both technical and non-technical.
•Fundamental understanding of information technology security practices and processes, as well as the creation and deployment of security policies.
• Encourage continuous improvement practices among employees.
• Demonstrated commitment to a culture of safety by having established safety as a key professional value and essential component of daily practice.
• Valid driver’s license with no more than a total combination of five (5) current point in the Michigan (or any other) point system, with no single infraction totaling more than three (3) points. The ability to attain a valid Michigan Driver’s license will also meet this requirement.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Ability to articulate and execute on a strategic vision at the department level that supports the overall IT vision/strategy, while at the same time ensuring quality tactical implementations are achieved.
• Experience implementing ITIL/Service Management frameworks.
• Strong leadership aptitude to foster a positive work environment that considers the dynamics of physical, social, psychological, and environmental factors.
• Fundamental understanding of firewall technologies, VPN services, and traffic management.
• Experience working in enterprise environments with system supporting 5000+ users.
|Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
|Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Most work in performed in a normal, temperature controlled office environment.
• Occasional work may be performed in a data center where noise levels will be loud and the use of a hearing protection device is required.
• Work is sedentary in nature, with occasional kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing.
• Occasional to frequent change in position from sedentary, standing, stooping, and walking.
• Work involves constant interruptions and requirement to answer on demand questions by phone, in person, or electronically.
• Frequent use of computer and exposure to terminal screens.
• Visual focus and strain.
• Move up to 25 lbs and up to 50 lbs occasionally.
• Frequent repetitive hand/wrist motions and finger manipulation.
• Work directly with students/clients.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
• Hearing protection (when located in data center).
|Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required training; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
• Employee Safety Overview
• Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
• Annual Data Security Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Required Departmental Training:
• Additional Information Technology “Securing the Human” training modules.
Posting Detail Information
||Internal & External Posting
|Internal Posting Date
|External Posting Date
|Open Until Filled
|Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Your references should include the contact information for at least three (3) professional references.
About IT Operations:
Our group is responsible for identity management, storage, virtual machine infrastructure, Linux/Mac OS/Windows operating system management, application packaging/distribution, license servers, core services (DHCP/DNS/LDAP/Authentication Systems), application traffic management/load balancing, data center operations, printing infrastructure and much more.
Our 24 full-time staff and over 50 part-time student technicians are hardworking and creative problem solvers with a demanding amount of technical work to accomplish. That work is a balance of making sure our technology and skills stay at the leading edge while servicing our technical debt associated with legacy systems and previous technical mergers. The systems and services we run support the entirety of the faculty, staff, students, alumni, and campus academic community.
About the University:
Michigan Tech is an internationally renowned doctoral research university located in Houghton, MI in Michigan’s scenic Upper Peninsula, on the south shore of Lake Superior. The area provides a unique setting where natural beauty, culture, education, and a diversity of residents from around the world come together to share a superb living and learning experience.
Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE institution, one of a select group of universities in receipt of NSF funds in support of our commitment to increase diversity and the participation and advancement of women in STEM.
Michigan Tech also has a Dual Career Program which assists departments with partner orientation to the university and community and identification of possible positions for partners.
|Applicant Special Instructions
|Provider Special Instructions
|Confirmation Message To Provider
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have a minimum of 8 years experience in an Information Technology position, of which 3 years included managing people or an equivalent combination of education and experience?
Do you have a valid driver's license with no more than a total combination of five (5) current points in the Michigan (or any other) point system, with no single infraction totaling more than three (3) points, or do you have the ability to attain a valid Michigan driver's license meeting the same criteria?
Have you managed multiple teams of technical staff totaling more than 10 full-time staff?
What interests you most in this position?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Reference List